23 Prepositional Phrases with IN
Hello English learners. Welcome to a new lesson. We will look at 23 prepositional phrases with “in”.
Here is the list:
- In a hurry
- In addition
- In advance
- In brief
- In case
- In charge of
- In common
- In control
- In detail
- In doubt
- In fact
- In fashion
- In general
- In love
- In moderation
- In no time
- In other words
- In particular
- In return
- In season
- In the habit
- In touch
- In vain
The English teachers at My Lingua Academy are happy to help you improve your English. You can attend our individual and group private lessons to learn English for free with our blog posts where you will find loads of grammar and vocabulary lessons, as well as exercises and quizzes.
In a hurry
Meaning: very quickly.
- Mark was in a hurry because he was late.
Meaning: use it to add another thing or person to something already mentioned.
- In addition to this house, he has a flat on the sea coast.
Meaning: to do something in preparation for something we expect to happen.
- You should book in advance if you want to travel to the Maldives in July.
Meaning: in a few words, without many details.
- We are listening to the news in brief.
Meaning: in order to be prepared for something.
- You should write it down in case you forget.
In charge (of)
Meaning: to be in control or responsible for something.
- I want to complain. Who is in charge here?
Meaning: to share something such as characteristics or interests with someone or something
- Humans and apes have a lot in common.
Meaning: to be in a position of power and decide on what is going to happen.
- The UN forces are in control of the region.
Meaning: which includes much information about something.
- Could you please tell me more about this problem in detail?
Meaning: to be uncertain.
- If you are in doubt, ask for a second doctor’s opinion.
Meaning: use the phrase for emphasis or to give some extra details.
- Mary works in school. In fact, she is a teacher.
Meaning: in a particular way.
- All houses on this street are built in the same fashion.
- In general, women live longer than men.
Meaning: to have romantic feelings for another person.
- Michael is in love with Monica.
Meaning: not too much, within reasonable limits.
- The doctor told me that I can drink wine but in moderation.
In no time
Meaning: very soon.
- We’ll be home in no time.
In other words
Meaning: to say it differently.
- In other words, they’ll put filters on the factory chimneys to prevent pollution.
Meaning: which applies to one person or thing.
- I have nothing in particular to say about this matter.
Meaning: as a response to something.
- Can I buy you a drink in return for your help?
Meaning: refers to the time of the year when fruit and vegetables are ready to be eaten.
- Cherries are in season now so I could make an apple pie.
In the habit
Meaning: something you do regularly.
- I’m in the habit of having breakfast as soon as I get up.
Meaning: in contact.
- We’ll keep in touch while we’re away.
Meaning: without any results.
- Fiona tried in vain to talk to her son.
If you really want to learn English but don’t know how to do it and where to start, don’t hesitate to contact us. Book an online English lesson with one of our certified and experienced English teachers and take a test and consultation for only 1 euro!