Adjectives that Describe Places
Hi dear English learners! Have you been to some interesting places recently? Do you know how to speak or write about them? Well, here is the vocabulary to help you out with that. Here are 20 adjectives that describe places.
An attractive place usually appeals to tourists and other visitors because it may have something interesting like beautiful nature, architecture, lively nightlife, etc.
- On a sunny day, the beautiful lake and forest of the parkland were an attractive place to spend a day.
- We’ve been to Greece on holiday and I can tell you that Athens is a very attractive city full of history, good food and welcoming people.
A bustling place is for example a big, crowded city with lots of noise and energy. An idiomatic expression with a similar meaning would be – hustle and bustle – They moved to the country to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
- Barcelona is well-known for its nightlife, countless bars, clubs and disco clubs and the bustling streets.
- In the late afternoon, they arrived at their destination – a bustling place full of people and vehicles.
A charming place possesses charm and attractiveness.
- Venice is a charming Italian city, famous for its canals, gondolas, ancient temples and museums.
- An area is a charming place, with traditional villages and sunny hills covered with vineyards.
We usually talk about cosmopolitan cities when they are composed of people from all over the world. We should also mention that a person who travels a lot is also a cosmopolitan – Tara has been getting around. She’s a real cosmopolitan.
- Budapest was closed after World War 2 but is now regaining its reputation as a cosmopolitan metropolis.
- The Australian culture and identity are changing, becoming more cosmopolitan every day.
A crowded place is full of people.
- We never go to the seaside in the peak season because it is crowded then.
- The film begins in the streets of a crowded city where homeless people talk about how and why they ended up that way.
An exciting place makes us feel excited, thrilled, happy, or maybe curious.
- London has always been an exciting place to live in.
- The young couple wanted to travel the world together and see all those exciting places they both dreamed about.
A famous place is well and widely known.
- The best and most famous places are located near the church, on a charming hill.
- Dubrovnik and Venice are the two most famous cities on the Adriatic coast, both with long and glorious pasts.
If a place is fascinating, then it must be extremely interesting and attractive because of its features.
- The city break to the fascinating city of Paris gives you an opportunity to see some of the most famous tourist attractions in the world.
- It is a fascinating place for bird watching, with over 100 species recorded.
A holy place usually has some religious features such as an old city, church or temple, etc.
- The temple was a holy place and it attracted many religious people, as well as tourists.
- We could see some interesting architecture, especially in the holy city, which has been developed by devotees.
A place that is homey is extremely pleasurable because it feels like home.
- We had dinner in a homey restaurant where they served delicious traditional food.
- On our way back from Spain, we stayed in a homey hostel, where we also had a big breakfast before we hit the road the next morning.
An interesting place is attractive, exciting, extraordinary, etc.
- There is a great number of interesting places to see in the Philippines.
- When we were in Mumbai, we visited some interesting places which are not on the map. Let me show you.
If the place is lively, then it is vibrant and full of people and all kinds of events.
- City centres are usually much more lively than suburbs.
- Oxford is a lively city, always full of students and different manifestations.
A modern place reflects the current time and living style, architecture, etc.
- Long-lasting peace has enabled it to become a modern country integrated with all the world.
- Japan’s capital city, Tokyo has developed into one of the most modern cities in the world, with its towering skyscrapers and cutting edge technology.
If a place is multicultural, then people from different cultures live in it.
- Toronto is definitely one of the most multicultural cities in the world, featuring people from over 200 countries speaking almost 150 languages.
- Argentina is a multi-ethnic and multicultural country with significant European influence.
Peaceful places reflect peace and quiet, tranquillity, war-free zone.
- The view of the plane was breathtaking, with beautiful peaceful landscapes and a river flowing through.
- It was hard to believe that once a peaceful place could become a bustling tourist destination as it is today.
A place can be popular because it has an interesting culture, architecture, nature, gastronomy, etc.
- The city’s spas, dating from the Roman era, were a popular tourist destination.
- This beach is a popular place for surfers and it is also safe for swimming.
A place that is picturesque is beautiful and attractive.
- It was a picturesque coastal town with narrow streets and old cafes, restaurants and shops.
- From the hotel window, we could see a picturesque green valley with majestic mountains in the background.
As you already know, a polluted place is affected by fumes and different pollutants such as carbon monoxide or similar.
- The Morgans are trying to move to the mountains as they no longer want to live in a polluted city.
- After the environmental disaster, many surrounding places were so polluted that the people had to be evacuated.
A thriving place is prosperous, it is growing and developing.
- Ever since the war ended, the country has developed into a thriving place, especially regarding the food industry.
- The city’s lively and friendly atmosphere attracts visitors from all over the world, making it a thriving business centre.
A touristy place is very popular with tourists.
- In the past decades, the city of Dubai has turned into a touristy place, flooded by foreigners.
- Tarifa is one of the most touristy cities in the world, as well as one of the most cosmopolitan.
Here are some more adjectives to describe places. We can describe a place as stunning, breathtaking, ancient, contemporary, native, coastal, industrial, quiet, strange, warm, safe, dangerous, poor, favourite, solitary, delightful, lovely, cold, quaint, fashionable, dull, etc.
If you come up with some other adjectives to describe places, just add them in the comment box. Thank you! 😀
Let me take your English to the next level. If you feel that you are not making much progress with your English or as quickly as your academic or professional requirements demand, how about trying my reasonably-priced one-to-one English lessons that I can tailor to whatever needs you may have like sitting forthcoming English certification exams, or taking part in business meetings with your international colleagues, or passing your job interview in English. Book an online English lesson with me or one of my fellow certified and experienced English teachers, and see for yourself. You won’t feel let down because we are going to make sure that you have a good run for the money you are investing in your linguistic education. Waste no time and take a trial test for only 1 euro.