20 Adjectives to Describe Sound
Hi English learners. Welcome to a new lesson. We will look at 20 adjectives to describe sound.
Here is the list:
The English teachers at My Lingua Academy are happy to help you improve your English. You can attend our individual and group private lessons to learn English for free with our blog posts where you will find loads of grammar and vocabulary lessons, as well as exercises and quizzes.
Meaning: sudden and unexpected, usually unpleasant, too.
- Sandra interrupted me in an abrupt tone of voice.
Meaning: making a deep and loud sound.
- We could hear a characteristic booming sound in the background, played by a local band.
Meaning: sharp and unpleasant. If your voice is brittle, you sound as if you are about to start crying.
- The orchestra sounded brittle in tone.
- Her voice became weak and brittle as if she was to start crying.
Meaning: merry, happy, in good spirits.
- When they got in, they could hear the cheerful sound of children singing.
Meaning: producing an unpleasant sound. When music is discordant, it is not harmonious; it contains notes that do not go together.
- From the balcony, they could hear a bustling discordant sound of traffic in the street.
- Tom Waits is a famous musician whose music sounds discordant.
Meaning: easy to recognize because it is different from any other sound.
- The doorbell produced a distinctive sound
Meaning: far away.
- The meeting was interrupted by the distant sounds of traffic.
Meaning: making you feel upset and worried.
- She could hear a disturbing sound coming from the pantry. It could be a mouse.
Meaning: not very clear or strong.
- We heard a faint sound of movement from the ground floor.
Meaning: easily recognisable because you’ve heard it before.
- Suddenly, he heard the familiar sound of steps coming from the stairs.
Meaning: not showing much emotion, monotonous.
- The piano produced a flat sound.
Meaning: having a pleasant harmony, opposite from discordant.
- When Mark started playing, harmonious sounds spread throughout the room.
Meaning: rough and unpleasant.
- The harsh sound of scratching was very annoying.
Meaning: making a low sound like hitting an empty object.
- Knocking on the box produced a hollow sound.
Meaning: pleasant to listen to.
- When she entered the house, Little Riding Hood could hear a melodious sound.
Meaning: a dull and repetitive sound which is always the same.
- Tessa was sitting in the chair, listening to the monotonous sound of raindrops.
Meaning: loud and clear.
- The officer shouted in a sharp, resonant voice.
Meaning: having a regular and repetitive sound or beat.
- There was a rhythmic sound of the machine working in the back.
Meaning: making a sound produced by food cooking.
- Sara listened to the sizzling sound of boiling water.
Meaning: not loud, pleasant.
- The baby was babbling in a soft voice.
If you really want to learn English but don’t know how to do it and where to start, don’t hesitate to contact us. Book an online English lesson with one of our certified and experienced English teachers and take a test and consultation for only 1 euro!