Ways to say “Approximately”
Don’t we all want to enrich our vocabulary? Well, here is your chance to do it. Approximately is an adverb meaning not precisely but close to the exact number or amount. Here are 13 different ways to say “approximately”.
- The train is coming in about 10 minutes.
- There were about 30 people at the party.
- The shirt costs around $10.
- I’m not sure when the film starts, but I think around 7.
- Roughly speaking, the construction will last for 6 months.
- The two houses were roughly the same size.
- It took me a month or so to get a new job.
- I think that Paul is thirty or so years old.
Give or take
- They’ve been dating for something like three months, give or take a week or two.
- The dinner cost us $200, give or take 10 dollars.
- We travelled for nearly two and a half hours.
- It’s been nearly 5 years since they got divorced.
- My mum is almost 70 years old.
- There were almost 10,000 people at the demonstrations.
Meaning: it is used before a date to show that something happened not exactly but around that date.
- The Roman vase was dating from circa 2000 B.C.
- The writer was born circa 1800.
- A child, close to bursting into tears, grabbed my arm.
- Her statement wasn’t entirely correct but it was close to the truth.
A ballpark figure
Meaning: An estimated figure, close to the exact amount.
- How much does this house cost? Can you give me a ballpark figure?
- Right now, I couldn’t tell you the exact amount, just a ballpark figure.
In the region of
- Simon was feeling pain in the region of his heart.
- I can’t tell you the exact amount, but it costs in the region of $50,000.
More or less
- There were more or less 50 people at the party last night. We had a whale of a time.
- The population of the small fishing village has been more or less the same in the past 30 years.
Not far from
- The house is located not far from the railway station.
- The place I’m going to is not far from the place you’re going to. Shall we go together?
If you really want to learn English but don’t know how to do it and where to start, don’t hesitate to contact us. Book an online English lesson with one of our certified and experienced English teachers and take a test and consultation. Choose the most suitable app: Skype, Zoom, WhatsApp, Viber or Facebook Messenger. You should certainly join us for 30-minute conversation sessions. We are organizing lessons at a 30% discount. Check it out!
In case you have any questions regarding English or Skype private lessons, don’t hesitate to drop us a line on WhatsApp because we’d be happy to hear from you. 🙂