There is a lot of confusion about the prepositions of place – AT, IN, ON. They are used to locate something; however, it is not always clear when to use which preposition.
Here are some explanations altogether with example sentences.
AT is used to describe the position of something at a particular place. It refers to a specific spot.
- at the desk/table/computer
- at the bus (railway) station, airport
- at the entrance /door /gate
- at the crossroads /junction
- at the top of the mountain/hill/ building
- at Clare’s house/at home
- They were very proud when they arrived at the top of the mountain.
- You can call me on my stable phone. I’ll be at home all day.
- Jane was standing at the door when she saw them coming.
IN is used to describe the position of something within a closed space.
- In a bus / car / taxi
- In a building / restaurant/ cafe / school / hospital
- In a bag / suitcase / wallet
- In London / New York
- In Mexico / the UK
- in the news / magazine / newspaper
- She found some clothes in her wardrobe.
- She was watching around while driving in a taxi.
- I’ve never lived in Mexico.
ON is used to describe a position on top of a surface of something.
- On the wall/ ceiling
- On the table / desk / shelf
- On the floor / carpet / rug
- On a street / road
- On a river / beach / coast / island
- On the website / page / screen
- They hang a picture on the wall.
- Your keys are on the table.
- You can find more information about ticket reservations on this website.
If you really want to learn English but don’t know how to do it and where to start, don’t hesitate to contact us. Book an online English lesson with one of our certified and experienced English teachers and take a test and consultation. Choose the most suitable app: Skype, Zoom, WhatsApp, Viber or Facebook Messenger. You should certainly join us for 30-minute conversation sessions. We are organizing lessons at a 30% discount. Check it out!
In case you have any questions regarding English or Skype private lessons, don’t hesitate to drop us a line on WhatsApp because we’d be happy to hear from you. 🙂