Prefix -miss is used at the beginning of a verb to describe an action done wrong or badly. Here are 10 most commonly used verbs with the prefix “-mis” you should add to your vocabulary by all means.
Meaning: A decision, action or opinion which is incorrect.
- People always mistake me with my brother.
- Jake’s writing is full of spelling mistakes.
Meaning: Fail to understand something or someone correctly.
- I thought they were married. I must have misunderstood.
- Please, don’t misunderstand me. I appreciate everything you’ve done for me.
Meaning: to understand someone/something wrong.
- They often misinterpret politicians’ statements.
- Although the exam question was clear Sara deliberately misinterpreted it.
Meaning: put something somewhere and then forget where you have put it.
- Jack is always misplacing his phone, but luckily he always finds it eventually.
- She was worried that her bag would be misplaced at the airport.
Meaning: treat something wrong or badly due to lack of skills or care.
- When my post arrived, I could see that it was mishandled.
- The politician was suspected of mishandling public funds.
Meaning: behave badly and thus cause problems.
- Tom was misbehaving at school, so his parents will have to talk to him.
- The cat was misbehaving, constantly climbing on the table.
Meaning: fail to spell a word correctly.
- I’m afraid you misspelt my name. Will you please correct it?
- Donald’s essay was full of misspelt words.
Meaning: use something in an unsuitable or dishonest way.
- Jim’s boss accused him of misusing the company’s money.
- Some children in my school misuse drugs heavily.
Meaning: give somebody the wrong idea about something.
- I assure you that it wasn’t my intention to mislead you.
- Despite warnings, many people were misled into buying that product.
Meaning: fail to hear somebody’s words correctly.
- Since I’m sure I’ve never said that, you must’ve misheard me.
- Jane thought that Jack was moving house. However, it turned out that she must have misheard him.
If you really want to learn English but don’t know how to do it and where to start, don’t hesitate to contact us. Book an online English lesson with one of our certified and experienced English teachers and take a test and consultation. Choose the most suitable app: Skype, Zoom, WhatsApp, Viber or Facebook Messenger. You should certainly join us for 30-minute conversation sessions. We are organizing lessons at a 30% discount. Check it out!
Drop us a line on WhatsApp