Talking about Similarities in English
Hi English learners! Welcome to a new lesson. We are going to learn some new vocabulary such as words and expressions you need for talking about similarities in English.
The English teachers at My Lingua Academy are happy to help you improve your English. You can learn English for free with our blog posts where you will find loads of grammar and vocabulary lessons, as well as idioms, phrasal verbs and collocations.
Here is the list:
- In the same manner
- To resemble
- To have something in common
- By the same token
- Along the lines of
- Cut from the same cloth
- Like two peas in a pod
- Spitting image of
Meaning: in almost the same way.
- Daria and her twin sister always dressed similarly when they were younger.
- All villages in the area were similarly affected by the flood.
Meaning: the same, in a similar way.
- He took an umbrella and likewise did his wife.
- The flight attendant put a mask on his head and asked the passengers to do likewise.
Talking about similarities in English
In the same manner
Meaning: in the same way, similarly.
- They make fig pudding in the same manner as rice pudding.
- Philip has always been a sleepy head so he acted in the same manner when he started to work.
Meaning: to look like something or somebody.
- The siblings resembled each other closely.
- All the houses in this street resemble each other.
To have something in common
Meaning: to have similar characteristics or share the same interests.
- Despite their different upbringings, Simon and his wife had many things in common.
- Apart from both working for the same company, there was very little the two women had in common.
By the same token
Meaning: in a similar way, for the same reason.
- Mary should apologize and by the same token, you must forgive her.
- I’d like to sign this contract but by the same token, I don’t want anyone to be at loss.
Meaning: to look similar to somebody else.
- For security reasons, the president had a lookalike who would show up at some events instead of him.
- Johnny Depp’s lookalike made a fortune imitating him at parties.
Along the lines of
Meaning: similar in type.
- We were planning to throw a party along the line of the one we were at last weekend.
- The house was built along the line of Mediterranean houses.
Cut from the same cloth
Meaning: to have similar characteristics as someone or something else.
- His first novel was very successful and his second one was cut from the same cloth.
- The two friends grew up together and were inseparable for most of their lives. They had so much in common as if they were cut from the same cloth.
Like two peas in a pod
Meaning: very similar, especially in appearance.
- The two girls were dressed the same and they looked like two peas in a pod.
- The two soldiers were like two peas in a pod, with the same haircut and uniforms.
Spitting image of
Meaning: to look very similar to someone, especially if you are related.
- The boy was a spitting image of his father.
- Milly is a spitting image of her grandma when she was her age.
Meaning: a person, usually a child, who copies someone’s dressing style and behaviour.
- Our daughter is imitating Lady Gaga. She’s such a copycat!
- The copycat football players were the best ones at the party.
Meaning: not original, looking just like everything or everyone else.
- There was one street in the village, with cookie-cutter houses on both sides.
- It was one of those cookie-cutter hotels you could see all along the coast.
Let me take your English to the next level. If you feel that you are not making much progress with your English or as quickly as your academic or professional requirements demand, how about trying my reasonably-priced one-to-one English lessons that I can tailor to whatever needs you may have like sitting forthcoming English certification exams, or taking part in business meetings with your international colleagues, or passing your job interview in English. Book an online English lesson with me or one of my fellow certified and experienced English teachers, and see for yourself. You won’t feel let down because we are going to make sure that you have a good run for the money you are investing in your linguistic education. Waste no time and take a trial test for only 1 euro.