LIKE – IF AS – AS THOUGH
Hi English learners. Here is a grammar lesson. We will talk about how to use like, as if and as though.
We use them to say how something looks, feels or sounds. So, you can say:
- It looks like it is going to be a sunny day.
- It looks as if it is going to be a sunny day.
- I feel like I’m going to get a cold.
- I feel as if I’m going to get a cold.
- You sound like you haven’t eaten today.
- You sound as if you haven’t eaten today.
You can use as though in the same way:
- It looks as though it is going to be a sunny day.
- I feel as though I’m going to get a cold.
- You sound as though you haven’t eaten today.
We can use like, as if and as though with verbs to say how someone does something:
- Look at those clouds. It looks like it’s going to rain.
- Look at those clouds. It looks as if it’s going to rain.
- Look at those clouds. It looks as though it’s going to rain.
- I’m not sure that David will join us at the party. He sounds like he doesn’t want to come.
- I’m not sure that David will join us at the party. He sounds as if he doesn’t want to come.
- I’m not sure that David will join us at the party. He sounds as though he doesn’t want to come.
“As if” with a past verb
We can use as if with the past verb like in the conditionals. The meaning of the sentence is present, not past.
- It was completely dry as if it hadn’t rained.
- Sara was laughing as if she would never stop.
- What’s going on with you? You look as if you’ve heard the bad news.
When you use as if in the past, we normally use were instead of was.
- John is so lazy. Don’t talk to him as if he were a good student.
- I remember when I met my husband as if it were yesterday.
- My nanny loved me as if I were her own child.
Let me take your English to the next level. If you feel that you are not making much progress with your English or as quickly as your academic or professional requirements demand, how about trying my reasonably-priced one-to-one English lessons that I can tailor to whatever needs you may have like sitting forthcoming English certification exams, or taking part in business meetings with your international colleagues, or passing your job interview in English. Book an online English lesson with me or one of my fellow certified and experienced English teachers, and see for yourself. You won’t feel let down because we are going to make sure that you have a good run for the money you are investing in your linguistic education. Waste no time and take a trial test for only 1 euro.