Vocabulary Related to Innovation and Invention
Hello English learners. Welcome to a new lesson. We will look at some useful vocabulary related to innovation and invention.
- Cutting edge
- Figure out
- The father of something
The English teachers at My Lingua Academy are happy to help you improve your English. You can attend our individual and group private lessons to learn English for free with our blog posts where you will find loads of grammar and vocabulary lessons, as well as exercises and quizzes.
Meaning: a drawing or a plan which shows how to build or make something. A person who decides what the design will look like and how it will work is called a designer. Design can also be a verb and an adjective.
- The new design is about to replace the old models.
- Peter is a successful video game designer.
- The software is designed to be educative rather than entertaining.
- We expect a lot from our new product, which is still in its design stage.
Meaning: to change something in the way that it becomes more advanced. Related to that is a person or a company that improves an old idea, invention or product – a developer.
- Scientists are planning to develop a new drug so that it is more efficient.
- Martin works as a developer of computer-controlled robots.
Meaning: to create something which has not existed before. Related to that is a person – an inventor and a new creation – an invention.
- Nikola Tesla invented alternating current
- Alexander Graham Bell is the inventor of the telephone.
- The invention of the washing machine enabled women to be more involved in politics.
Meaning: to think of and introduce new ideas and methods. Related to that is a noun innovator – a person or a company that introduces changes and new ideas.
- If you experiment and innovate, you create a constant interest from your clients.
- HP is an innovator in computer printing.
Meaning: an important invention or discovery that can help deal with a problem or improve something.
- The new medicine represents a major breakthrough in curing heart-related diseases.
- The research created a breakthrough in the field of geology.
Meaning: the most advanced stage in the development of something.
- Scientific work he conducted placed Greg at the cutting edge of medical research.
- The exhibition showed the cutting edge of modern gardening tools.
Meaning: the most modern of its type.
- The video game was made with state-of-the-art computer graphics.
- The car had state-of-the-art safety equipment.
Meaning: no longer in use or valid.
- Pagers and beepers became obsolete when mobile phones appeared.
- Can you believe how much equipment becomes obsolete as soon as it is made?
Meaning: to solve a problem by thinking.
- Scientists have figured out how to solve the problem of smoking addiction.
- An inventor figured out how to make a printer that doesn’t need ink.
The father of something
Meaning: the man who first made something.
- They say that Shigeru Miyamoto is the father of video games.
- Sigmund Freud is the father of psychoanalysis.
If you really want to learn English but don’t know how to do it and where to start, don’t hesitate to contact us. Book an online English lesson with one of our certified and experienced English teachers and take a test and consultation for only 1 euro!