10 Interesting Ways to Say OLD
Hi English learners! Welcome to a new lesson. We will look at more interesting ways to say OLD with lots of example sentences so you can learn the new vocabulary in context.
Here is the list:
- As old as the hills
- Long in the tooth
- Over the hills
- Past one’s prime
- Be getting on
As old as the hills
Meaning: very old.
- The man in the TV series looked very old, as old as the hills.
- The house they lived in was as old as the hills.
Meaning: something that existed a very long time ago; it also refers to the people who lived thousands of years ago.
- According to the ancient story, the population in the area has lived there since ancient times.
- The ancient Greeks used to sacrifice lambs to the gods before going to battle.
Long in the tooth
Meaning: to be old, especially when someone is too old to do something.
- Aren’t you a little long in the tooth to wear that much makeup?
- The actress is a bit long in the tooth for the part of a young girl, don’t you agree?
Over the hill
Meaning: an older person who is no longer attractive or capable of doing things as they used to.
- When I was a teenager, I thought that people over 40 are over the hill.
- It is not safe to drive that car any more; it’s over the hill.
Past one’s prime
Meaning: a person or a thing that is no longer productive and in good health.
- Celia was still in business although she was past her prime.
- I’m not going to eat this cheese; it’s past its prime.
Meaning: something that belongs in the past.
- The museum reflected the style and elegance of the bygone times.
- Our grandma told us a story of bygone days when she was little.
Be getting on
Meaning: growing old.
- My grandpa is getting on in years, he’ll be 78 next month.
- Tom is almost 35 and it‘s getting on for a footballer.
Meaning: old jewellery, clothes and so on representing the style from the past.
- Bob is collecting vintage motorbikes.
- This is a vintage jacket which was in fashion in the 80s.
Meaning: things from a long time ago.
- They are still preparing the same dishes as old-time Americans for Thanksgiving.
- They played some old-time Irish dancing music in the club.
Meaning: a human who is a hundred or more years old.
- They say there are lots of centenarians living on some Greek islands.
- More and more people are becoming centenarians nowadays.
If you really want to learn English, book an online English lesson with one of our certified and experienced English teachers We are going to make sure that you have a good run for the money you are investing in your linguistic education. Waste no time and take a trial test for only 1 euro.