Collocations are chunks of words or phrases that help you sound natural when speaking a foreign language. It is very important to know that you shouldn’t say “I’m working on my homework” (which makes sense), but “I’m doing my homework” because the former is a genuine collocation. In that sense, here are 15 commonly used collocations with the word “hope” to help you adopt natural English expressions as well as build up your vocabulary:
Meaning: when you truly want something.
- It is my sincere hope their marriage will be a happy one.
- You are free now and we sincerely hope that you won’t break the law again.
A ray of hope
Meaning: when something gives you a small amount of hope in a difficult situation.
- In her hard life, her son was the only ray of hope.
- But in the darkest hours of war and terror, there was always a ray of hope which helped us hang on.
Meaning: when someone is aiming at something difficult or impossible to attain.
- Thomas felt sorry because he hasn’t realised the high hopes of his parents.
- The government had high hopes for the new law of discrimination.
Meaning: when you have hopes and feelings about something that may not be true.
- I would appreciate it if you wouldn’t give my patient and his wife false hope.
- Do you really think it’s a good idea to throw false hopes at him?
Meaning: initial hope.
- His early hopes of becoming a doctor became true.
- The early hope that the war would end soon hasn’t been fulfilled.
Be full of hope (hopeful)
Meaning: feeling optimistic about something.
- They were full of hope they’d get the tickets.
- Mary was so hopeful about her job interview.
Hope for the best
Meaning: to hope that something will be successful.
- I had the car fixed, so we can now hope for the best.
- Popular wisdom says: hope for the best – prepare for the worst.
Meaning: to always keep your hope in your mind.
- Mary cherished the hope David would propose to her.
- Many members of the resistance cherished the hope that they would win the war.
Keep hope alive
Meaning: to not stop believing in something even if it seems unlikely to happen.
- Despite the difficulties, they kept their hope of moving abroad alive.
- We should be patient and keep our hopes alive that grandpa’s condition would stabilise soon.
Cling to the hope
Meaning: hoping that something will happen although it’s not realistic.
- Sara is still clinging to the hope that Brian would eventually stop drinking.
- I still cling to the hope of being employed as an accountant in that multinational company.
Live in hope
Meaning: to be hopeful about something.
- The police said there is a small chance to get our car back, but we live in hope.
- The company I applied for the job at hasn’t called me for an interview yet but I live in hope.
Give up hope
Meaning: to stop hoping that something will happen or that something is true.
- He gave up his hopes of becoming a pilot.
- Seeing him with another woman, Mary gave up hope that he might return.`
Meaning: feeling confident about the outcome of something.
- We have every hope of finishing the project this year.
- The patient is recovering very well, so we have every hope that he’d be home by Christmas.
Hope in hell
Meaning: refers to something impossible to achieve.
- You haven’t got a hope in hell of getting that job.
- I think that you don’t have a hope in hell of catching any fish from that river.
Hopes and dreams
Meaning: refers to everything somebody hopes for.
- What are your hopes and dreams about the future?
- She told me all about her hopes and dreams.
If you really want to learn English but don’t know how to do it and where to start, don’t hesitate to contact us. Book an online English lesson with one of our certified and experienced English teachers and take a test and consultation. Choose the most suitable app: Skype, Zoom, WhatsApp, Viber or Facebook Messenger. You should certainly join us for 30-minute conversation sessions. We are organizing lessons at a 30% discount. Check it out!
In case you have any questions regarding English or Skype private lessons, don’t hesitate to drop us a line on WhatsApp because we’d be happy to hear from you. 🙂