How to Talk about Housework
In today’s lesson, we will be learning practical vocabulary regarding housework. It is undeniably beneficial to know how to talk about housework because it is an everyday topic.
We usually use the verb “do” to talk about housework.
DO THE CHORES
Chores are tedious, boring housework you have to do, such as cleaning, dusting, washing, tidying in general.
- I hate doing chores. I love ironing, though.
- I have so many chores to do for the weekend. I need to mow the grass, prepare meals for the next week, vacuum, and do the laundry.
DO THE LAUNDRY
If you do the laundry, then you wash your clothes, sheets, towels, etc. You can do it in your washing machine or at the public service laundry.
- I’m afraid I can’t go for a coffee with you on Saturday. I have to do the laundry.
- Luckily, I did the laundry on Saturday morning so I’m free all Sunday. Let’s go to the beach!
DO THE CLEANING
Doing the cleaning refers to a house or flat cleaning (removing dirt and dust) in general.
- My husband helped me do the cleaning after our son’s birthday party.
- I have two flatmates with whom I share chores. My turn to do the bathroom and kitchen cleaning is on Wednesdays.
DO THE WASHING
If you do the washing, then you wash your clothes. However, if you
DO THE WASHING UP
it means that you wash the dishes.
- We’ve just got back from holiday, and all my clothes are dirty. It’ll take me some time to do the washing.
- I asked Paul to clean the table after dinner, and I’ll do the washing up.
MAKE THE BED
Making your bed means tidying it so that someone can sleep on it.
- Dorothy made the bed with clean sheets.
- All children must make their beds right after they get up.
If you are dusting, you’re using a piece of cloth or a duster to remove dirt and dust from the furniture.
- We live near the road, so we have to dust our place quite often.
- Pauline took a piece of cloth and started dusting the bookcase.
If you want to polish, you’ll need a clean cloth and a polishing spray or cream. You rub it into your floor or furniture and rub it until it gets shiny.
- The cutlery is very shiny after Peter polished it.
- I like it when my floor is polished and my carpets clean.
Mopping refers to cleaning the floor with a wet piece of cloth attached to a holding stick. It usually comes with a bucket of water and detergent.
- Be careful how you’re walking. The cleaning lady has just mopped the stairs.
- Will you please mop the floor in the kitchen? Someone has spilt the milk.
Sweeping is pushing rubbish off the floor with a brush attached to a holding stick.
- Pauline was sweeping crumbs off the kitchen floor when the waiter came in.
- We’re going to sweep the leaves off the ground.
Wiping means removing dirt off a surface with a piece of cloth.
- Diana wiped the table with a wet and then dry cloth.
- You can dust the shelves by wiping them gently with this fabric.
TO VACUUM CLEAN
Vacuum cleaning or vacuuming is cleaning using a machine called a vacuum cleaner which consists of an engine and a long pipe. It sucks up dirt from carpet and furniture.
- Sean vacuumed the carpet until it was clean.
- The bed is full of crumbs; we need to vacuum clean it.
It’s a long list of chores, let’s name some more:
- do the cooking
- set the table
- take out the rubbish
- go shopping
- mow the grass
- do ironing
- fold clothes
- hang clothes to dry
- air clothes and sheets or blankets, etc.
Now when you’re acquainted with the vocabulary, you can discuss these questions:
- What is your favourite chore?
- What is your least favourite chore, and why?
- Which household appliance do you use the most?
- Which chores do you do which your parents didn’t when they were your age?
- Have you ever been paid for doing chores?
- Do you ever pay someone to do the chores for you?
If you really want to learn English but don’t know how to do it and where to start, don’t hesitate to contact us. Book a free online English lesson with one of our expert native English teachers and take a test and consultation. Choose the app that suits you best for your lessons: Skype, Zoom, WhatsApp.
Join us for 30-minute conversation sessions. We are organizing conversation lessons at a 30% discount. You can take 8 monthly lessons for only 69 euros.
Drop us a line on WhatsApp