We can add the suffix –less (meaning without or not sufficient) to some nouns and create a new adjective. Here are 20 adjectives ending in -less to add to your vocabulary:
Meaning: not paying enough attention.
- Tom has to pay a fine for careless driving.
Meaning: being or seeming to be without end.
- When Thomas looked at the queue in front of the cashier, it seemed endless.
Meaning: have no fear.
- Sara is a fearless woman who’s always wanted to work for the police.
Meaning: not capable of causing damage.
- Don’t worry about the dog because it’s harmless.
Meaning: cruel, careless.
- People who get rid of their pets are heartless.
Meaning: not able to do something, powerless.
- They were helpless during the storm.
Meaning: be without a place to live.
- 10,000 people were made homeless in yesterday’s earthquake.
Meaning: without hope, desperate.
- The firefighters tried to stop the fire from spreading but it was hopeless.
- Although he’s applied with many companies, he’s been jobless for four months.
Meaning: stupid, without purpose.
- I don’t want my child to grow watching mindless violence on TV.
Meaning: which causes no pain.
- An operation took only five minutes; but most importantly, it was totally painless.
Meaning: who/which has no power.
- Although she was a a doctor, Anna felt powerless to help her ill child.
Meaning: extremely valuable.
- Some of Van Gogh’s paintings are priceless.
Meaning: unable to calm down.
- As the day went by, Peter got restless because there was no news about his friend.
Meaning: Meaningless and foolish.
- The terrorist attack was a senseless tragedy.
Meaning: unable to sleep.
- Rita spent so many sleepless nights worrying about money.
Meaning: not able to speak because of shock or astonishment.
- Sara was staring speechless at her husband when he told her he was leaving.
Meaning: having no flavour.
- The sandwich she ate was dry and tasteless, but she was starving so she didn’t mind.
Meaning: not useful or effective.
- Simona wanted to call the police but her phone was broken and useless.
Meaning: have no value.
- That dress is beautiful but it’s worthless if it doesn’t fit you
If you really want to learn English but don’t know how to do it and where to start, don’t hesitate to contact us. Book an online English lesson with one of our certified and experienced English teachers and take a test and consultation. Choose the most suitable app: Skype, Zoom, WhatsApp, Viber or Facebook Messenger. You should certainly join us for 30-minute conversation sessions. We are organizing lessons at a 30% discount. Check it out!
In case you have any questions regarding English or Skype private lessons, don’t hesitate to drop us a line on WhatsApp because we’d be happy to hear from you. 🙂